Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Old people don't understand text messages

To be fair, text messages are a strange way of communicating that have their own weird rules compared to other forms of written communication [email, letters (do people still write letters?)] and those rules aren't written down anywhere that someone who wouldn't already know them is likely to find them. Maybe I should write a book...

Anyway, I'm trying to rent a room from this woman. We've talked on the phone and met in person. She has my number in her cell phone (she volunteered this info when we met in person) plus it's written down on my application:

I love how old people want to open a text message with a greeting. It's quaint. Similarly, sometimes they want to close with their name... Look, if I cared, I would have saved your number, and your name would be magically displayed at the top of the screen. I promise.

Then, several days later (don't seem too eager, renting a room is like dating was in high school) I wrote her back... and she is somehow completely puzzled as to who the hell is responding to the text messages she sent to me - and using my number! It could be anyone! OK, to be fair, my research director's name is brian as well so maybe the 2 brian thing was confusing?


 "Brian, would you like to rent the room"... No, crazy lady, I met your son (who lives in the house), filled out an app that had all kinds of personal info on it, met you and your husband, goaded my references (who you actually called, who does that) into calling you back, and followed up with you about those references BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO RENT YOUR ROOM, HA HA HA I'M JUST WASTING YOUR TIME BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TO DO.


Alright, that's it, just had to share that. TL;DR: Old people are hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment