Monday, July 9, 2012

What is the haps?

It has been a long time since I've posted anything here. I had really meant to write something - anything - at least once a week but obviously I fell off that wagon or horse or whatever antiquated mode of transportation you'd like in your metaphor.

So to catch up with me, for those who haven't heard (and who am I kidding, there are what, 3 people gonna read this and they've probably all heard me whine already): one of my old housemates in Los Osos turned out to be a passive-aggressive hippie, and asked me to move out. No prior problems that she told me about, and when I asked her why?
"I don't know, I just feel like the vibe of the house is different from what it was before you moved in."

Yeah.

So I found a place in SLO and got some help from some awesome people with the actual physical move (thanks awesome people who aren't reading this!)  I'm now paying just a bit more but living walking distance to downtown and an easy bike ride to school so it's totally worth it.

School is out for the summer, I've been furiously... well, maybe less than furiously... doing nerdy crap on a computer that no-one cares about or likely would understand. I'll probably get into details later anyway, in another brain-dump post.  I had the idea that I would be all disciplined and get up early every weekday, go down to campus, put in 8-10 hours, and then come home and relax for a bit before retiring early so I could do it all again. The reality has involved more skipping out to take care of errandy things, leaving early to go drink beers with hot girls who turn out to be crazy, and sleeping through my alarm and not showing up to 'work' until noon. I gots to get better about all of that.

And I will. But probably just in time for fall quarter, when I will be grading for 3 classes and filling in for some lectures when the professor can't make it, which he thinks will be only a couple weeks, but I'm betting runs closer to half the time. We had a professor quit - just about half-baked style - and it seems like it's going to be a scramble. I volunteered to teach one of his classes, forest harvesting, which I am qualified to teach. Likely more qualified than any of the profs in my department, actually. Anyway, I think I'll get it, but it's not offered until winter quarter, so in order to 'prove myself' or something, I have to grade/babysit these other classes Fall quarter. And, I'm taking three classes plus a special problems class (so that I can get credit for one of my classes which is only 300-level) so... I'll be busy.

Also there is a ton of fun stuff I want to do this summer, and not just because it's fun - I'm trying hard not to lose touch with any of my friends, because I don't have friends who are only kinda awesome, only the full-awesome type, and that kind is worth some effort to hold on to. So I've been up to the bay area, out to buttonwillow, and I'll be up to tahoe and the russian river and hella nor-cal later on.

So, yeah, that's a hastily-written, poorly organized dump about what's going on with me. Which, I'm feeling, will be followed up shortly by a seperate ranty post about marriage. Because it's only 10pm, and I'm not tired yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment